IMPORTANT!! Please check the Board Approval Information below to ensure the course is approved by your professional board and will provide the CE credits you need.
Quality of life can be enhanced by quality care. This program has been designed to help those healthcare workers who directly care for persons with dementia, teaching the skills, techniques and strategies that will enable them to provide quality of care for patients/ residents with dementia in long-term care facilities. This course has been designed to meet the requirements of F.S. 400.4178 and Rules 58A-5.0191 F.A.C.
Purpose and Objectives
This program is offered to increase the effectiveness of care by utilizing an understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and other confusional states. At the completion of the program the participant will be able to:
- Identify other conditions that may result in symptoms that mimic ADRD.
- Understand what is currently known about the causes of ADRD and how it is diagnosed.
- Understand how the disease progresses and its symptoms, behaviors and challenges associated with each stage.
- Identify and manage behaviors common to patients or participants with ADRD.
- Provide personal care to patients or participants with ADRD guided by the principles of independence and dignity.
- Identify strategies for assisting the caregiver with ADLs of ADRD patients or participants.
- Help patients or participants with ADRD participate in group and individual activities that are positive and rewarding for the patients or participants. Identify and employ stress management techniques and activities.
- Understand the impact of ADRD on family members and implement strategies for involving family members in the program.
- Create an environment that is safe, secure and supportive for both the patients or participants and the staff.
- Identify common ethical conflicts that may arise when caring for patients or participants with ADRD.
About the Author
Linda S. Greenfield, RN, PhD
Linda is the educational administrator, author and instructor for Consultants for the Future. She is a graduate from Iowa State University and Columbia Pacific University and was listed in Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities as a doctorial student. She has taught hundreds of seminars and authored home study courses for over thirty five years in healthcare continuing education.
+ View more
Her clinical experiences include acute and long term care, including experience as a flight nurse in the US Air Force and as an educator in a college based nursing program. Linda has a passion for life-long learning and is always on the breaking edge of the latest information in health and healing, integrating both conventional and alternative approaches. She has a knack for breaking down complex topics into easy to understand concepts with practical applications for everyday needs. Linda has been honored as a keynote speaker at several conferences and conventions, including the Spring 2005 conference of the Iowa Department of Health where she spoke about energy healing.
Board Approval Information
Consultants for the Future has been approved by the Florida Boards of Nursing, Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy, and Mental Health Counseling, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Pathology and audiology (clinical), Nursing Home Administrators, and the Council of Certified Nursing Assistants, Provider No. 50-435. Our DOEA training Provider No. is ALF 754. The curriculum approval number is NHAD 9109. Approved by the Florida Physical Therapy Association, #CE19-139214. It is approved by the Ohio Board of Speech and Language Therapy and Audiology, Provider No. 50-435; the District of Columbia Board of Nursing, Provider No. 50-435; The Alabama board of Occupational Therapy, Provider No. 50-435; the Georgia Board of Nursing, Provider No. 50-435; the California Board of Nursing, Provider No. 04433; the Iowa Board of Nursing, Provider No. 61 and it meets the requirements of the Iowa Behavioral Science Examiners for Mental Health Counselors and Marital & Family Therapists, the Iowa Social Work Examiners and Iowa Licensed Nursing Home Administrators. The course meets the requirements of the Minnesota, Ohio, Nevada and Kentucky Boards of Nursing, and other states by reciprocity.